Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We've come a long way, baby!

Well, it's three days until graduation and I could not be more excited! No more homework,  no more research papers, no more finals. In these last few days of my college experience I was looking back over how far I've come in the last three years. (I am so glad I decided to take an extra year to complete all the prerequisites instead of cramming everything in to two years.)

In the summer of 2008 I decided that I would go back to school after a 15 year break. Because I waited until the middle of July to register for classes I had to wait in that giant, horrendous, 23 mile long line to be able to get the classes I wanted. No big deal. I didn't mind waiting and I had a nice conversation with the 18 year old in line next to me. What I did mind was a classmate of his walking up and asking if I was his mom! I was only 33 years old at the time.

So I got registered for the classes I wanted and the first day had finally arrived. I had fun buying my own school supplies along with the ones I got for my kids. I remember the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I came up over the hill on Knaust road and saw the parking lot overflowing with cars on the first day of classes. To say I was nervous is a major understatement.

That semester one of my classes was beginning algebra. My oldest son was in eighth grade at the time and we were doing the same math. I would not have been able to make it through that class with the help of my neighbor, Karen, who teaches middle school math and the help of my teacher, Callie Daniels. On the day of our first test, I was the last one to finish. I wanted to cry. Ms.Daniels was very comforting and reassuring. She was always available to help with any problems I was having. Another of my classes was English Comp I. We were required to have a flash drive to save all our papers. I felt like an idiot when I had to ask what a flash drive was. In my previous career as a stay at home Mom, I didn't have much use for a flash drive. Also in that class what sticks out in my mind is that on the first day someone came in and sat down next to me and said, "Whew, I thought I was going to be the oldest person in the class." I didn't know what to say because I sure couldn't say what I was thinking. Needless to say, things got better and I fell into a routine of doing homework right along with my kids.

Lastly, I wouldn't have been able to make it through the HIT program without our program director, Candy Cundiff. From lining ourselves up around the room to learn about terminal digit filing to playing jeopardy, she made some subjects that are not very exciting definitely more interesting. Her creative teaching techniques definitely helped me learn. THANK YOU CANDY!

The last three years have flown by. I feel like I can speak for just about everyone in the HIT program and say, I feel so lucky that I have made friends who I intend to keep in touch with after graduation. We are fortunate to be entering our field at just the right time. Our future is bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment